The following pre- and post-care instructions are important to your overall treatment. If you have any questions, please call the office.
A few simple guidelines before your treatment can make a difference:
- If you develop a fever, cold I flu, or develop a cold sore, blemish, or rash, etc. in the area to be treated prior to your appointment, you must reschedule (we will not treat you).
- It is recommended, if you have a special event or vacation coming up that you schedule your treatment at least 2 weeks in advance (we prefer 3-4).
- If you are being treated in the lip area and have a history of Herpes (cold sores) with outbreaks more than 4 times a year some practitioners recommended that you are pretreated with medication. This office recommends Valtrex 2GM the day before or the morning of the treatment and then another 2GM’s.12 hours after the first dose. **Please let us know that you need a prescription if you do not have this medication on hand. **
- Discontinue use of anti-inflammatory drugs (steroidal and nonsteroidal) such as: Aspirin, Motrin (or any other Ibuprofen drugs) at least 3 days to 1 week before your treatment. With PRP, we "want" inflammation this is one of the mechanisms of how PRP does its work.
- If you are or have been on Systemic use of Corticosteroids (steroids) within 2 weeks of treatment, we cannot treat you. Consult your physician for approval to discontinue use of steroids and receive treatment.
- Discontinue use of any other blood-thinning agents such as: Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Essential Fatty Acids (EFA's and DHA's) etc. at least 3 days to 1 week before and after treatment to minimize bruising and bleeding.
- It is recommended that you avoid: Alcohol, caffeine, Niacin supplement, spicy foods, and cigarettes 3 days before and after your treatment. (All of these may increase risk of bruising)
Please carefully read and follow these instructions after your PRP treatment. There are minimal restrictions after your PRP injections allowing you to return to your daily activities almost immediately.
- Do NOT touch, press, rub, or manipulate the treated area (s) for at least 8 hours after your treatment
- AVOID Aspirin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Alev e (all non-steroidal and steroidal anti-inflammatory agents), Gingko Biloba, Garlic, Flax Oil, Cod liver Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, or any other essential fatty acids at least 3 days - 1week prior to and after your treatment. Remember, we are creating inflammation.
- If you experience discomfort or pain you may take Tylenol or other Acetaminophen products
- You may apply Ice if you wish to the injected area for 20-30 minutes after the procedure but we would prefer if you can refrain from this.
- Do not wash or take a shower for at least 6 hours after your treatment
- Do not use any lotions, creams, or make-up for at least 6 hours after your treatment
- AVOID vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for at least 3 days after your treatment
- AVOID: Alcohol, caffeine, and cigarettes for 3 days before and after your treatment
- Smokers do not heal well and problems recur earlier and results may take longer.
- Maintain a healthy diet and Drink at least 64 oz.’s of water the day of the treatment. (Fiji water is recommended due to its high content of Silica)Continue water intake the first week after.
- It is normal to experience: Bruising, Redness, Itching, Soreness, and Swelling that may last from 3-10 days following your procedure.
- Please call our office should you have any questions or concerns regarding your PRP treatment or aftercare.